Pages

06 March 2012

The City of Utrecht and the Highest Church Tower in the Netherlands

One thing that I truly miss about my former home in California is the proximity to hills and mountains and the beautiful views they offer to those willing to climb them.  I loved trekking up into the hills above my home in Berkeley and looking out on a clear day over the City of Berkeley, the San Francisco Bay, and the City of San Francisco beyond that.  I miss the drive along the Big Sur coast and taking in a scenic ocean vista from atop a sea cliff. I miss the excellent views from the mountains bordering the Yosemite Valley and the San Joaquin Valley.
View from Sentinel Dome, Yosemite National Park, California
By contrast, the Netherlands is almost completely flat.  There are no sweeping mountain views here. There are a few very gently sloping hills in some parts of the country, but the topography just does not approach the heights to which I was accustomed in California.

So, to fulfill my need to observe the world from higher elevations, I must utilize human-made perches in the form of the giant church towers sprinkled throughout the Netherlands. This brings me to the subject of this post: the City of Utrecht and the Domtoren.
Utrecht's Domtoren: the highest church tower in the Netherlands
The City of Utrecht is home to the Domtoren, the highest church tower in all of the Netherlands. If you climb to its highest viewpoint, which is over 900 meters above Utrecht, you can get a pretty good view of the city and beyond. Last weekend, I visited Utrecht with a group of friends and climbed the Domtoren after taking a lovely tour around the city and visiting its many other beautiful sights, including the Oude Gracht canal and Utrecht's many churches and gardens
The view of Utrecht from the Domtoren. No mountains here, but it's beautiful despite its lack of topography.
Here are some more photos from my day in Utrecht....

The Saturday flower market:

Flowers for sale
In and around the Dom Church:
Cathedral of St. Martin and Domtoren
Inside the garden at the Cathedral of St. Martin
Entrance to cloister
Garden at Cathedral of St. Martin
Views along the Oudegracht, one of the main canals in Utrecht:



This part of the Oudegracht corresponds to a former fork of the River Rhine
Old churches, repurposed:
This was a church, but now it's Café Olivier with an excellent Belgian beer menu.
This church has been converted to apartment units.
Here's a close-up of the "for sale" sign.
More scenes around Utrecht:
Anne Frank monument
Utrecht University Hall in Dom Square
Typical Dutch streetscape, with the exception of the UFO crashing into ProRail headquarters

4 comments:

  1. Your pictures make me wish I'd taken a day trip to Utrecht when I was in the Netherlands! I definitely want to go there on my next visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, I highly recommend including Utrecht in your itinerary for your next visit to the Netherlands. It's an absolutely charming city, with some of the most beautiful canals that I've ever seen.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read your blog in a while, but I finally made my way here this evening. Looks like you guys did a lot over in Utrecht. You write really well and it's a pleasure to read! To be honest, I don't think I remember seeing the UFO and the Anne Frank statuette. Utrecht is by far my favorite city in the Netherlands, and I will definitely make my way down there a couple more times before I go back to the States!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaccie, We did cover a lot of ground in Utrecht, and there's so much more to see. I will definitely visit Utrecht again - soon, I hope! See you at the next Expat Drinks Night!

      Delete