Pages

08 November 2011

Typical Dutch: The Flessenlikker

I often hear the phrase "typical Dutch" thrown around upon discovering something unique to the Netherlands.  This is especially the case when a shop owner explains a gadget of some sort that I had never seen in the USA, or to describe the weather on days that it is particularly unpredictable.

As I discover new and interesting "typical Dutch" things, I will share them on this blog.

This brings me to the topic of this post: the flessenlikker.  The flessenlikker (roughly translated to "bottle- licker") is an ingenious, yet very simple, kitchen tool that I stumbled across on a recent shopping trip to a housewares store in my neighborhood in Groningen.

Although the flessenlikker originated in Norway (according to this Wikipedia article), it is nevertheless considered a "typical Dutch" kitchen implement due to its prevalence in Dutch homes.

Why is it so prevalent? I think the answer is in its functionality - just as its name implies, it is used to scrape foods like peanut butter, mayonnaise (a condiment that is extremely popular here despite its cholesterol content), fruit preserves, and mustard from the insides of jars or bottles. Without it, bits of peanut butter or other sauces or condiments stuck to their jars or bottles inevitably end up washed down the drain or thrown into the recycling bin.  The flessenlikker's design allows it to get at food that a flat knife or spoon cannot remove. These handy little spatulas may be small, but they are waste-preventing powerhouses.

I was so inspired by the simplicity of the flessenlikker and its ability to reduce food waste, that I decided to procure one for myself.  Here it is, next to a jar of peanut butter:


My flessenlikker: preventing peanut butter waste
I've used my flessenlikker several times now, and I can say without reservation that it was the best 2 euros I've ever spent. I haven't kept track of the actual volume of food that the flessenlikker has recovered from bottles and jars before I've washed them out, but my unscientific estimate is that it has already paid for itself in recovered peanut butter, jam, and mustard.

How did I ever live without the "typical Dutch" flessenlikker?

No comments:

Post a Comment